How to solve your business problems with a little brainstorming
“A person who can create ideas worthy of note is a person who has learned much from others” Konosuke Matsushita
As small business owners we are always looking for ways to create innovation and products that open up whole new markets or build on existing ones.
Brainstorming can be a very effective tool to use to harness the creativity of your biggest asset, you and if you have them, your employees. You can use brainstorming to:
- come up with innovative ideas for new products
- find creative solutions to problems that dog your business and to
- find ways to continuously improve efficiency by improving processes and procedures.
- There is no end to the creative or innovative solutions you and your employees can come up with, if you have the tools to generate and harness ideas.
- Brainstorming can be a very helpful tool in idea generation.
What is Brainstorming?
Brainstorming is a technique that focuses on gathering as many ideas as you can in a short space of time. If used correctly, the technique helps you bounce ideas around and to build on other’s ideas to end up with final solutions.
Brainstorming can also be used individually or in one on one sessions, as well as in small group sessions. It’s the art of focusing the mind on gathering many creative ideas, without analysis and judgement. The analysis and discussion of the ideas happen after the creative ‘storm’ has passed.
Why use Brainstorming?
Brainstorming is used by innovative small businesses for many reasons. Some of the best known advantages of using brainstorming as a technique include:
- it allows your employees to put forward their ideas in a safe place
- it allows you to gather the ideas that can really lead your business into an innovative future.
- brainstorming in a group allows people with different ideas to share, blend and expand their knowledge in ways that offer genuine solutions to real business problems.
- it can lead to increased teamwork and other benefits that are not possible from other idea generation techniques such as suggestion boxes.
- If you are looking for a very effective method to use when you want to generate high quality ideas and creative, innovative solutions to your business issues, brainstorming is a technique
- you should add to your toolbox of creativity techniques.
Do you use brainstorming to generate ideas and to solve problems? Do you use variations of brainstorming and what are they?